Saturday, February 3, 2007

Double Chocolate Bread



I wanted something chocolatey tonight for dessert, so I adapted a recipe from one of my quick bread books and came up with this.

Double Chocolate Bread

2/3 c. sugar
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 c. milk
1 egg
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bread loaf pan--whatever size you have is fine. I used my stoneware bread loaf pan and the loaf stuck a bit on the bottom, so be aware of that.

Beat sugar, melted butter, milk, and egg until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are blended. Fold in chocolate chips.

Bake 50-55 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out mostly clean.
Let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

This is a very rich bread. It would also be a good recipe for small loaves for gifts--it would make 1 regular sized loaf or 4-5 small loaves.


Taste-testing proved that this is a really rich bread that needs nothing to add to the flavor. Butter or cream cheese might make it too rich. Definitely tasty, though! I'll make this one again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mercy Maud! That looks amazing.

-- Grey

Jennifer said...

Oh, it's yummy. I couldn't finish the large piece I cut for myself because it was too much to eat at one time. And I'm not usually like that.

Unknown said...

Hey, I just had an idea. When you develop a recipe and post it here, I'll try it. Then I can be one of your "recipe testers" as you develop your cookbook. :)

-- Grey

Jennifer said...

That's a great idea! I need recipe testers. :)