Sunday, February 4, 2007

Cuban Bread and Rice Wine

I made Cuban Bread from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads today, because I decided that I'd rather make something quick and finish the cleaning I needed to finish. It turned out fine, but I'm going to lessen the salt next time--it called for 2 T. and I didn't even put that much in. And I like to eat my bread without tasting the salt. Another thing I won't do next time is split it into two loaves. I also like my loaves of bread to have some weight, and this recipe only made two small loaves.

As for the Rice Wine part of the title of this post, I have an old cookbook from 1933 that I picked up in a box of cookbooks at an auction last year. This particular cookbook is The Chapel of the Good Shepherd Cook Book, a collection of autographed recipes, all tried and some of them cherished.

In this cookbook, submitted by Mrs. Julie V. Stewart, is a recipe for Rice Wine. Now, I don't drink alcohol, but I think I might just have to try this recipe. The ingredients aren't that bad (I'll post it in a minute here) but the hard part is what to put the ingredients in.

I'm posting the recipe as it is written in the book.

Rice Wine
from Mrs. Julia V. Stewart

3 pounds rice
3 sliced oranges
2 yeast cakes
7 quarts water
2 pounds seeded raisins
5 pounds granulated sugar

Put all above in crock and stir every day for 3 weeks. Strain through cheesecloth. Let stand, to be sure it is perfectly clear. Put in bottles and seal.

I'm having a hard time finding something large enough to put this in. It doesn't say cover it, but I'm assuming this is a crock with a lid she's talking about, and I don't believe I can go to just any store to buy something that will fit these ingredients. I know I don't have something that will fit all of this, except for a metal pot, and you're not supposed to use metal pots for stuff like this. So, unless I find a good deal on a very large crock or figure out something else I can use, I'm going to have to wait a bit to make my very own wine.

Or would this be something more akin to saki?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like a sweet rice wine to me, like the kind I like to cook with.

As far as containers, try a large glass container, like the giant ones they make for iced tea. You can sometimes find them at Goodwill.

Or you could halve the recipe fairly easily, I would think. Based on my experience, the fermenting times would be about the same.

Jennifer said...

Oh! I didn't think of a glass container. I think I'm getting stuck on the thought of no light getting through, which could very well be for something else. :)

Cool. I wondered if it might be good to cook with. That would be excellent.