Friday, June 15, 2007

Whye Bread and Salad

Earlier this week, I made four loaves of bread. Actually, five, if you count the one in the bread machine. Two white, and three (I'm not really sure what to call them--white with rye flour? Oh, I know!) Whye. :)



I made the Whye bread in my hand-crank bread maker from 1904. Three loaves at a time was a snap for it; I could have easily done five, at the very least. I'm probably going to have to freeze one loaf at least; there are two left, since I brought one to work.

Anyway, the Whye bread is absolutely scrumptious. Here is the recipe:

Whye Bread

4 1/2 cups of warm water
10 cups of bread flour
1 1/2 cups of dark rye flour
4 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste; I never put much salt in my bread)
2 tsp. sugar, honey, or other sweetener

If you're using a mixer like mine, follow the directions on the lid, which are liquids first, then dry. Crank for 3 minutes or thereabouts; the dough will form a ball and clean the sides of the bucket. Either let rise in the bucket or transfer to a large bowl. Set in a draft-free spot for about an hour, or until doubled in size. (It really depends on the temperature.)

When it has risen, punch down, form into large oblong, and cut with a sharp knife into three pieces. Form those three pieces into loaf forms, or freeform if you wish. Slash the top with a sharp knife. Be creative. Most of the books say 'slash three times' or whatever, but really, do what you want. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

I made a small personal pizza to go with this, since one of my loaves was a big large. It was yummy!

Tonight for supper I had a salad from my garden. The only thing not from my garden that was on the salad were the sunflower seeds and the salad dressing.

What you see:

Turnip, baby carrots, beet leaves, curly lettuce, deer tongue lettuce, the other lettuce I have in the lettuce bed, and baby peas.

It was quite delicious!

No comments: