Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rice Wine

Well, it's finished. For having five pounds of sugar in it, it is not what anyone could call sweet. In fact, I think it's 100 proof hard liquor. I swallowed a tiny, tiny bit to my lips and just about fainted from the alcohol content. Whew! I think you could get drunk on a shot glass of this stuff. But that could be just me. :)

It was not clear. In fact, it's yellow, like watered down orange juice. Which makes sense, really; it does have three oranges in it. However, after four filterings, I was unable to get it clear enough to see through. So it will have to be cloudy. (Which is fine, because I'm not drinking it; I'm just going to cook with it or something--in fact, the rest of the wine in the bowl is going to hopefully end up as vinegar, if it doesn't contain too much alcohol.

So another experiment... but vinegar will take much longer.

Now I have to go do dishes...

1 comment:

Grey said...

Oo! Interesting. Let me know what it's like to cook with.