Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Eggless Spice Cake

I ran out of eggs, but I wanted something for dessert tonight, so I adapted a Depression-Era eggless, milkless, butterless cake and made up my own (since I had milk and butter.)

It's delicious!

Eggless Spice Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 c. sugar
2 T. butter
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. bourbon vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 8 or 9 inch cake pan.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, butter, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, vanilla, salt, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and boil for at least 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Be careful that it doesn't burn. Let cool.

Mix the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the cooled spice mixture. Stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Eat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Simply delightful...but maybe for all the wrong reasons. I was looking for a recipe while my cabinets have little more than some flour, a bit of butter and 1/2cup sugar...a not an egg in sight. I hope you keep posting and you've given me a great idea to research Depression era recipes in general.